What are the requirements for spouse visa extension?


The spouses or partners can definitely go for a spouse visa extension after 2.5 years, approximately 30 months if they meet the requirements set by the Home Office.

Your spouse must be a British citizen or have settled status, like Indefinite Leave to Remain,  to be eligible for the spouse visa extension. It may be possible to apply to extend your visa period in the UK if your partner has refugee or humanitarian protection status within the UK.

You must also be able to evidence  the relationship between you and your partner is genuine and legally recognised in the UK, whether it is a marriage bond or civil partnership. Alternatively, you need to show that you have been in a relationship which is similar to a marriage bond or civil partnership for at least 2 years in the UK.

Time period involved in Uk spouse visa extension

You will need to extend your UK spouse visa at least once to complete your 5 year or approximately 60 months  qualifying period for settlement as a partner or spouse. You may also need a spouse visa extension if you don’t fully meet the requirements for settlement after 5 years, for example, if you cannot yet speak English as it is required  for settlement or if you fail the Life in the UK test.

In addition to the relationship requirement, the majority of applicants may need to fulfil the following conditions:

  • Have a combined income of at least £18,600
  • Have not been convicted by any law or immigration condition within the UK
  • Ability to evidence a certain level of English
  • A good character and no criminal history

The Home Office will ask to see information such as council tax bills, utility bills and bank statements. Any evidence which you present or submit needs to be in its original form and dated.

English Requirements

The Home Office underwent major changes in 2017  in English language proficiency test for all applicants.

These changes suggest that every Spouse Visa applicant seeking a visa extension will need to provide proof of an A2 level of English proficiency in speaking and listening as set forth by the Common European Framework of Reference for Language. Some partners or spouses who had not taken the English language test when they applied for their Spouse Visa, may need to when applying for a spouse visa extension.

be recognised and, eventually, the spouse visa  extension application will be rejected.

There are certain exemptions to not take the English language test which include

  • Any individual aged under 18 years or over 65
  • A citizen of an English-speaking country
  • Individual with a long-term history of physical or mental condition
  • Individual holding a higher qualification from an institution recognised by UK

Financial requirements

The basic financial requirements that you need to evidence for an extension are as follows:

  • The partners or spouse to show a combined income of at least £18,600 in the UK
  • If the applicant has a child, the minimum income threshold becomes £22,400
  • The threshold further increases to £2,400 for each additional child the applicant shows.

The financial income can be met through various other means, including:

  • Income from employment or self-employment of yourself and your partner
  • Savings over £16,000
  • Maternity allowances
  • Access to public funds in the UK
  • Bereavement benefits
  • State and private sessions
  • Maternity allowances

The spouses must also remain updated with the latest UK immigration news and updates. In cases where spouses are finding it difficult to comply with the Home Office. They can take help from immigration law firms. A Y & J Solicitors is a bespoke immigration law firm based out of London. They have been awarded the Best Immigration Law firm award.  Eventually, you should be able to demonstrate that you have been living with your partner during your UK residency, and that you intend to carry on living with your partner in the UK.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here