As the Cricket World Cup 2023 began on October 5, 2023, cricket enthusiasts and experts worldwide were super excited about the tournament. It is the 4th encounter of this grand international tournament where South Africa took on the Sri Lankan cricket team live from the Arun Jaitley Stadium, Delhi.
This match got the maximum hits on ODI World Cup Betting sites.
Match Summary of South Africa vs Sri Lanka Match in ODI WC 2023
It was toss time; Sri Lanka won the toss and elected to bowl first. It was in the second over of the match that Proteas lost their captain for only 8 runs, as they put up 10 runs for the loss of 1 wicket.
But from then on, it was a total runfest, as more than 754 runs were scored in a single match (both teams total). It appears to be a world record that will take ages for other teams, especially in a CWC tournament, to overtake. In this particular match, certain other records were witnessed by the fans from both sides in this wild runfest encounter.
Records Broken & Made in SA vs SL ODI World Cup 2023 Match
Let’s will discuss all those records one by one.
The biggest total ever posted by the Team in CWC history
While batting first, the proteas put up a mammoth total of 428 runs for the loss of 5 wickets against the fiercest bowling attacks of the Sri Lankan national team.
- It is the highest total ever recorded in the history of the CWC event.
- This overtook the previous total of 417 runs that were put up by Australia against Afghanistan in the CWC in 2015.
- The previous record against Sri Lanka was put up by team India with 414 runs for the loss of 7 wickets in 2009, which was scored in Rajkot, India.
Fasted CWC Hundred Ever Scored in the CWC History
The proteas led a wonderful platform in the form of centuries that were scored by Quinton de Kock and Rassie van der Dussen at the top of the order.
- It was the icing on the cake that was laid down by Aiden Markram’s explosive hundred, as he scored 100 runs off 49 deliveries with the help of three sixes and 14 boundaries.
- In this process, he set up a new record of the fastest hundred ever scored by a batsman in the history of the CWC event just by undertaking Kevin’O Brien’s year-old record of 100 from 50 deliveries that were scored by him against England in 2011.
Most Tons In A World Cup Innings
In this match, the proteas innings featured three centurions, starting with Quinton de Kock, who scored 100 runs, Rassie van der Dussen, who scored 108 runs, and Aiden Markram, who played an explosive 106-run inning.
- It is the first time in the history of the CWC men’s 50-over event that three tons were scored.
- In the 50-over matches, there have been only three instances of teams having three centuries within the same innings.
- Two of those were scored by the Proteas against the Windies in Johannesburg and against India in Mumbai.
Most 400-plus Totals In ODIs
The Proteas posted a huge total of 428 runs for the loss of 5 wickets in this year’s CWC event in 2023.
- In all, they posted an eight 400+ total in the 50 over ODIs, which is the most that has been recorded by any other side.
- Other than the Proteas, it is the men in blue who have six 400+ scores.
- Previous to this, three of Proteas 400+ totals already came in the previous ODI World Cups of 2015 and 2019.
- This is a runaway record that they proudly hold, as all other teams combined have two 400+ totals in the history of the 50-over World Cup.
Most ODI Tons Before Maiden World Cup Hundred
It is Quinton de Kock who has scored more than 17 international centuries in the 50-over ODI format.
- His maiden ODI World Cup ton came in this particular match against Sri Lanka.
- This is also a record that QDK holds proudly, since no international batter has scored more ODI centuries before scoring their maiden World Cup century.
Concluding Thoughts on Records Made in South Africa vs Sri Lanka match in ODI WC 2023
From the above discussion, it is pretty clear that this match is not only a runfest in the history of the CWC event, but it has broken previous best records that were already present in the previous years of it.
At the same time, it has also created some records that were not present at this international marquee event. We hope this year’s World Cup will not only make the tournament more exciting as it progresses, but that more records will be created by other international teams.